Withdrawal of a Guilty Plea

Withdrawal of a Guilty Plea

In certain circumstances a person can withdraw a guilty plea and get that final disposition set aside and try to get a different result on their case. This is possible in most cases, however it is only something that can be more easily accomplished in certain unique cases.

For example, If a person has already pleaded guilty to certain drug charges, such as marijuana possession or possession of drug paraphernaila, then it may be possible for an attorney to withdraw that person's guilty plea and negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecutor to have the drug charges reduced to a lesser offense.

The same may be true if a person has pleaded guilty to a traffic offense. If a person has pleaded guilty to a moving violation and had points added to their license they may be able to hire an attorney and withdraw the guilty plea and get the moving violation amended to a non-moving violation so that they will not have points added to their driving record.

However, in both types of situations mentioned above, if too much time has passed since the person has pleaded guilty, or if the person was represented by an attorney when they pleaded guilty then the judge of the court may not allow for the withdraw of the guilty plea.

For more information about withdrawing a guilty plea, or to see if your or eligible for this option contact a St. Louis Criminal Defense Lawyer at the firm today.

Categories: Criminal Defense

Get Aggressive Defense Now

Criminal charges can jeopardize your entire future. Let our criminal defense team provide dynamic legal protection.

Get My Free Consultation
I would highly recommend Brent When feeling uncomfortable with the public defender in IL, I decided to seek additional information from Brent. I was impressed with Brent's knowledge and experience. I ended up firing my public defender (who was about to have me plead guilty) to hire Brent. After hiring Brent, we reviewed all of the details of my case. He immediately saw "red flags" and was able to investigate my case thoroughly, and in the end filed a motion to dismiss the case. My case was thrown out by the judge siding with Brent instead of the Attorney General from the state. In facing some significant charges, Brent was able to make me feel comfortable and I immediately thought I could trust his knowledge and experience to help me defend my rights in court. I knew he was fighting for me and could prove the charges were false. I would highly recommend Brent if you are need of a competent and professional lawyer to represent you
- Donald
Read more comments